A tummy tuck, also known as an abdominoplasty, is a surgical procedure available for those who have a hard time obtaining results from restricting diet plans and strenuous exercise routines. If you have excess fat or loose skin on your abdomen, a tummy tuck can be the perfect solution for obtaining the aesthetically pleasing contours you desire.
A sagging abdomen can be caused by any of the following factors:
• Past surgeries
• Significant changes in weight
During the procedure, your doctor will mark specific areas where incisions will be made. After gaining access to the underlying fat and skin, he will remove the appropriate amount of tissue to deliver the desired results.
CHOOSING THE BEST TYPE OF TUMMY TUCK TO SATISFY YOUR INDIVIDUAL NEEDS
Before undergoing the procedure, you will need to schedule a consultation with a skilled surgeon. During your consultation, you should have a detailed discussion in which your goals should be stated. In addition to talking about your goals, you can also discuss the various tummy tuck techniques available to you.
The techniques include:
• Complete Tummy Tuck – This method requires your doctor to make an incision from one hipbone to the other. He will then remove excess fat and skin and restore any weakened muscles to improve the contours of the abdominal profile. If necessary, the belly button will also be repositioned. Drainage tubes will be inserted under your skin for the first few days.
• Partial Tummy Tuck – You should opt for this if you have deposits of fat underneath your navel. Here the belly button is not moved and the duration of the surgery is only a few hours.
• Extended Tummy Tuck – This method focuses on the excess fat on the sides of your waist and the stomach area. It’s an ideal solution for those who require improvements around the hip region.
• Circumferential Tummy Tuck – Patients who have previously undergone gastric bypass surgery usually choose to undergo this treatment. After such surgeries along with a decrease in skin elasticity the patient also experiences weight loss. This extensive method provides significant improvements.
PREPARING FOR THE PROCEDURE
In the weeks before you undergo the surgery, there are certain steps that you should take to prepare for the procedure. These steps will require you to:
• Quit smoking
• Provide a complete list of the medications you are currently taking
• Adhere to a healthy diet
TIPS FOR RECOVERY
No matter which type of tummy tuck you opt for, the operated area will be properly stitched and covered in bandages. It is important to take a great deal of care during the post-operative stage. Your surgeon will provide instructions that you will need to follow to ensure a successful recovery. These instructions may include modifying your sitting and lying postures, taking it easy from any strenuous activities, and ceasing the use of any medications that may cause your blood to thin.
CONTACT OUR OFFICE
The aesthetically pleasing abdominal contours you desire can be achieved with a tummy tuck. Contact us to learn more about the procedure with board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Steven Bloch. He will guide you through the entire process, from beginning to end.